Monday, December 8, 2014

Blogs and Babies!

"So how is your son doing, are you missing him?", this is a normal question I get asked and I reply, " Yes I do!.. but.... I have two blogs!" I can tell they are not impressed. 
I met many people at the Speech meet who had the same question for me. Two blogs may not sound like a good substitute and they are not, but when I think about it, at times, it can feel like I  have twin babies vying for attention. Of course they are demanding! You get up in the middle of the night to attend to either of them. Then, they can be all consuming, where you get an idea and go! yeah! I am going to write about that in my blog and I have to do it right now. Also, they are always at the back of your mind as you check for regular updates, and feel assured when things are going fine.

"Oh! your baby is cute!", you hear that a lot, but when it comes to your blog, it is not very often that you get the same enthusiastic response. There may be silent admirers though, and I don't blame them... as I like to be anonymous on the internet as well. I used to look down upon flattery once upon a time... not anymore, it is almost welcome as it helps add to the growth and the direction of the blog.

Just like babies, blogs have teething troubles, as you are deciding on which look, direction or approach you need to take. However, unlike a baby your blog soon gets old and begins to have growing pains and guess what! it doesn't have a personality to guide you, you have to create a personality. Although on the bright side you can change the personality depending on your own whims and fancies.

Unlike a baby, a blog never complains when it is ignored for days, weeks and months. It can be and has be sidelined for long periods at a time and it has sat there with nary a complaint. It doesn't even complain when I change its look, appearance or direction when I feel like it. It can be this silent companion...

Yet! hard as I try there is a lump in my throat and a little tear in my eye as I walk down the corridor of the school to help with a Speech meet, when I see the students - all nervous, pacing up and down rehearsing their lines. I see my son, who was doing it last year and in a blink of an eye he is not there. Here I am trying to grasp on to the straws and feel whole again, had we not found joy in sharing the process? Even if I had a chance, I would not trade this journey for any other, it has helped me grow and discover who I am and who I can be. 

As I continue to find happiness in the memories and the things I did because of him, that have now become a part of my life. It gives me so much joy to see other kids enjoy the very same process. Growth is a part of life and so isn't it comforting and reassuring to know that blogs don't leave you when they grow up?




7 comments:

Haddock said...

Its true... there may be silent admirers, but a positive word now and then makes a lot of difference to the blogger.

ishmusings.blogspot.com said...

Thank you! it does help to get a feedback..

Susan said...

This is beautiful Ish. I love how you described what it is like to have a blog. It does not replace our children - but it certainly can fill many hours that used to be devoted to them!

ishmusings.blogspot.com said...

yes Susan! you are right about that...

Arti said...

I think, today is turning into a/an Ish-Day! I really enjoyed your blog-baby comparison. I think all of us with kids of a certain age and blogging as our go to activity can identify with you. LOve your humour.

ishmusings.blogspot.com said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ishmusings.blogspot.com said...

Thank you for your compliment! Arti..... I loved your pictures too... the ones you took while visiting colleges. That instantly struck a chord with me as we did that two summers ago and I kept all my friends posted during that 25 - day road trip. That is when all of them started to encourage me to start blogging... :)