Sunday, March 8, 2015

The era of Bingeing

Pantry Shelves
....As I get into Binge – organizing, I meet my little friends from yester months, (hopefully not years), lurking in the dark neglected corners of the cupboards, I had forgotten that they even existed. Little packs of pancake mix, wild rice, flax seeds, apricots and miscellaneous stuff of that sort.
Now, that the little stuff and me are having a joyful reunion, I forsee sessions of Binge- cooking. Happy days are here again for the family, they can look forward to some real food, not just make-do food.  They will be well fed for the next few days. No more hunger pangs or scouring for non-existent food, late at night, as the lady of the house sits unaware or perhaps a little aware, blissfully besotted by Binge – Youtube watching.

In my defense, I can say that I just got done with Binge – Robotics, that was like a marathon session for the past six months. So what is wrong with gleaning some useful information?  I convince myself it is useful or even necessary information, after all I don’t watch TV. If not for me Binge-watching on Youtube, my family and me would be deprived of emotional Thai commercials.  Of what value are the clips of Pakistani self-deprecating humor, that I gleefully watch - is something I need to ask myself?  But watching people gorge on delicious dishes like Bak Kut Teh and Vietnamese PHO soup is useful, as I will try making them at home. However, the inevitable consequence is a Binge - grocery shopping spree.

Then again, I did find a true gem in the philosophy of Sartre - a link, my brother sent me, after all Sartre talks about freedom. The absolute kind of freedom to follow ones will, ones desire, ones wishes, which perfectly banishes any residue of guilt that one might feel over various bouts of bingeing. Yet again, I wonder if things were better before WIFI became as accessible as a toilet paper roll, when I baked breads, buns and cakes on a regular basis, hand-made a quilt, hand-knitted a few sweaters for the boys and teddy bears. I sewed fleece jackets for my boys every fall.  Not anymore, but, I haven’t heard them complain about the lack of replenishment, I suspect they are secretly relieved.

Now, a meticulously pinned quilt lays awaiting, little pieces of knitting sit quietly in a pretty wicker basket. Will I ever get to them?  To think of it, my mother who just “sat at home”, never really sat idle. She did everything from “custom-cooking” every meal for every one of us, sewing all the clothes, knitting all the sweaters, making ketchup, squashes, jams, pickles and you name it on a regular basis. Her typical day started with a morning walk followed by yoga, cooking, socializing, baking a cake, going to the vegetable market, ironing clothes, dinner and then a walk after dinner.

Often times, my father would call her in the afternoon and very casually let her know that he was bringing over a few people for dinner. And all she had to do was to make sure she had a couple extra main and side dishes along with a compulsory sweet dish or two. She would do it happily.


Oh! well.. time for a Binge-preparation, after all I have to make dinner for 32 people at a Cafe tonight.



5 comments:

Arti said...

Hi Ish. I giggled and nodded throughout the post. I am almost at the point where social services will put me on a 'make dinner for your family' roster. How I wish you lived near me, so I could make use of your binge cooking sessions:) Next time my family accuse me of not providing, I'll say,'But, Ish does it, too.'
LOVED reading it. Thank you:)

ishmusings.blogspot.com said...

Me too :) I wish you lived closer, but "blogger friendship" does have its own charm. It can be more profound and significant with a different feel :)

Susan said...

I really loved this piece Ish! I can relate to the topic so well, and your writing talent really is apparent here!
I am enjoying some “binge-Musings of Ish” readings today, as lately my “binge-livinglifemoments” have prevented me from keeping up with your recent posts. Both your blogs are great!

ishmusings.blogspot.com said...

Bingeing seems to have become a way of life :) Thanks Susan! for your encouragement. I thoroughly enjoyed writing this piece....

manjunath said...

I am going on a binge walk now