Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Prize Mileya? ....... More than just a Prize

Did you get a prize? (Prize Mileya?)

I once, decided to participate in a painting competition at school. It was a poor attempt at trying to please my painting teacher and parents. Well! for the next few weeks, every single day, my parents asked me - "Prize mileya?"


How was I to tell them that I hadn't even finished the painting? I thought, time would make them forget about it, but boy! they were persistent.  Finally, I got tired of making excuses and simply pretended that... I had won a second prize of Rs. 15 ( my savings from the bus fare). They were so proud of me and my painting teacher could not stop gloating about it! The fake victory felt hollow, no joy in it for me, but it made them happy!

It all started with a ridiculous"Fancy dress" contest - dressing up as a character and playing it on stage.  At any "Fancy dress" contest there would typically be about six - seven contestants dressed up as brides from different regions of India, they felt proud of how beautiful they looked - while I sat there, looking pitiful in a white parachute like outfit with cotton covering my head. 

It was my very first time and I was dressed as a shuttle cock, must have been nine or so...and I won a prize, my parents were thrilled to bits and understandably so! After all my mom had put in the effort on actually making a costume instead of thrusting me in the most common "bridal attire" which would merely encompass a sari from her wardrobe and jewelry to match.

Well then the expectation went up a couple more notches and I was expected to win every other contest! Maybe I won a prize as a gypsy dancer another year. Yet, another year my mother had a bright idea of parading me as a feeble old lady with a walking stick in a white sari with talcum powder on my hair, for a contest at school. 

It was my first time, alone -- on stage at school, it was embarrassing! I still haven't forgotten, how I had to endure condescending looks from the omnipresent "brides" for more than two whole hours while waiting backstage. And Yes! I must admit, I had the last laugh, when I won a prize for the portrayal of a sad old lady, as the brides looked on full of envy and prizeless...

I confessed my lie about the painting prize to my son today, who merely laughed and shook his head at my childishness. He loves to win a prize, who doesn't? but he focuses on learning and enjoying the process much more than I ever did.

We just got back from the Science Olympiad Competition, the event that he and his friend participated in was Scrambler, they had to design a vehicle and a launcher. The vehicle would have an egg taped onto it and be launched into action by the propeller.  It would have to travel the designated distance with the egg intact. 

Now, the vehicle designed by them was a car made of legos with a specific gear ratio of 1:125. It even had a braking mechanism. The only hitch was, that the launcher wasn't too stable, so the car launch wasn't perfect. However, their car performed well, just 2 cm short of victory or the much coveted prize! Yet, what they learned in the process of designing the car and the launcher - Priceless or can I call it More than a Prize.








3 comments:

Arti said...

Hey Ish. Your prizey childhood made me nostalgic! Yes, who needs a prize? Honestly, I love it when my kids get one and my Indian parenting propels me to ask who got it when they don't. It's not easy to distance from the (perceived) fruits of your labour even though the wise sages have told us to only do the 'karam' or the task and not worry about the result. One day at a time eh? Learning in the process- yes, that srely is priceless.

ishmusings.blogspot.com said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ishmusings.blogspot.com said...

Thanks Arti, truly having a son in college about 3000 miles away has made me realize the value of time and how to appreciate and celebrate the little moments in life without worrying about the results....