Friday, September 19, 2014

What! No Gold Socks??? But there is Pasta


I was absorbed in making tomato sauce, chopping veggies for grilling.
It happens to be that time of the year, when veggies and fruits are local, fresh and plentiful. I dutifully buy loads of fresh carrots, beets, potatoes, tomatoes, beans, zucchini and spinach from the farmer's market every week.
Next week there will be lots of apples available, freshly picked from the trees. Here I am preoccupied with ideas for cooking and my son, who is a freshman in high school, issues me an ultimatum as he walks in, "If you cannot find them, I cannot play in the game tomorrow."

I know, I had been putting it off - the inevitable search, but I had already spent a whole hour frantically rummaging through the cupboards, laundry baskets, laundry chute, washer, dryer and the soccer bag all over again. No luck!! I had not found the gold socks."I put them for wash two weeks ago!" he insisted. "Then why don't you start doing laundry?" I added exasperatedly.

I have no choice but to hurry up with my cooking and begin my search all over again!  This time I try all the unusual places, the pantry, the kitchen drawers, the book shelves, under the bed and still can't find them. In desperation, I open the cabinet of my bedside table. Lo! Behold the gold socks are lying on top of my diary. How did they get there?  I have no idea! It took me two hours to finally find them.  No wonder! my son has a triumphant, " I told you so!" look on his face.

The next day we drive to Belgrade to watch his soccer game. It is a beautiful evening, the sun is shining in all it's glory, the boys are wearing their black uniforms, they are playing well but something is different. What is it? Then after the game, my son, proudly comes up to me and asks , "Anything different?" I look at him up and down a couple of times before I let out a cry,"What! no gold socks???, he is wearing black ones instead! The referee felt that the gold socks looked white from a distance and it would be too confusing, as the other team was wearing white ones. Anyways by the time we drive home, everyone is hungry, I cook some pasta  and mix it up with with the  grilled veggies and voila dinner is ready.


Pasta shells with
Veggies

4 Carrots ( med size)
2 beets ( med size)
4 potatoes ( med size)

Dice the veggies into small cubes
Bake them in a shallow baking dish covered with foil at 350 F for 25 - 30 mins

white sauce
11/2 t flour
2 cups of milk
1t butter


Saute flour in melted butter for 4 - 6 mins Add warm milk, about a 1/4 cup at time Add salt and pepper to taste.


Mix White Sauce with grilled veggies and Add the cooked pasta shells and Simmer on cooktop or Bake uncovered in the oven for ten more minutes.









4 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the story as I can relate to a similar incident . Thanks for the recipe too . I can try it out.

ishmusings.blogspot.com said...

Thanks Anita! when I wrote the Thai green curry recipe with basil I thought of you :)

Unknown said...

Massi, this is Nikki your niece (Shallu's Daughter), and I enjoy reading your blog, for your writings are very relatable. Especially this one, is very relatable. I can not wait to read more, massi. Keep on writing!!!! :-)

ishmusings.blogspot.com said...

Hello Nikki, so sweet of you to write to me. It is nice to hear from you, I hear you write well yourself.... Keep writing and remember to be true to yourself...I will write more... Thanks for your compliment!!!