Thursday, September 18, 2014

Too much Basil? Get cooking....

Yesterday was garlic and today happens to be basil. I shared my musings on garlic with my friends and they had their own very interesting ones! One friend had had the pleasure of savoring "Garlic lollipops" while another had a friend, who enjoyed imbibing raw garlic on a regular basis. Yet another friend, an avid gardener was wondering about growing garlic, then basil came into the picture. 


She has a huge basil bush that is thriving in her kitchen garden. This reminded me of my own basil bush last year. I had so much basil that I had no idea what to do with it. I had made some pesto, but my husband complained about wanting something healthier. Then, I baked freshly sliced tomatoes with a liberal sprinkling of basil on them When that got old, I ended up making a lot of healthy pasta sauce  and Thai green curry. 

Here are the recipes.....

Pasta Sauce with Basil and Tomatoes

2 Cups of fresh Basil (roughly chopped),
4 cloves of Garlic,
4 Cups of Tomatoes,
1 Cup of Milk,
dash of black pepper and salt

Puree all the ingredients in a blender.
Simmer for about 15 - 20 minutes on low heat.

I liked to added grilled zucchini and spinach to the sauce when having it with pasta.

Thai Green Curry

2 Cups of fresh Basil ( roughly chopped),
1 Cup of fresh Cilantro
4 - 6 cloves of Garlic,
1-3  Serranno peppers ( depending on how hot you want it to be)
2" piece of Ginger or Galangal( if available)
2 cans of lite Coconut milk
1 can of pineapple titbits
2-3 Kaffir Lime leaves

Place all the ingredients except the lime leaves in a blender.
Seperate the pinapple titbits from the pineapple juice
Add the remaining pinepapple juice to the blender.
Add another 2 cups of water ( I like mine to be a little runny)
Throw in  2-3 Kaffir Lime leaves 
Simmer for about 15 - 20 minutes on low heat.
Add salt to taste.

I usually add steamed veggies to the simmering curry like potatoes, carrots, cauliflower, brocolli and bamboo shoot, also Pineapple titbits and let it simmer for about 10 more minutes





1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Thanks for the recipes. I am definately going to try them.